20 Jan 2013

Perfect Apple Crumble

Apple crumble
Apple Crumble

Where It All Began

You may (or may not) know that apple crumble is where it all began for me. That is, where my baking life began. So its only fitting I have a dedicated post to it, right? Right.

So this post, imagine it's like the Queen! And all the others are mere servants! Get the picture?
No, seriously, I don't know what it is about this dessert that I love it so. The last twelve months alone has seen it appear from my oven eleven times. Gosh. maybe I need to get out more. And d'you know what? It's even more fitting now, being winter and needing the right sort of comfort food.

But I cannot fail to mention, mine always has to come with custard. This is unnegotiable. Some of you out there may favour the likes of cream instead of custard (that's okay, I'll let you off, we can still be friends). But I need custard.
(n.b: not sure if custard over here in the UK is the same world wide. Check out pic for a visual).

I must also stress, the recipe below is for those, that like me, enjoy apple crumble with sweet apple filling. Not the tart taste you get from cooking-apples stuff I've suffered before. To help me get that result, I either use Cox's or Braeburn apples.
....Cox's or Braeburns? This article, 34 Science-Backed Health Benefits of apples examines the varieties of apple and their fantastic health benefits among anything!

Apple,Crumble,Custard



Apple Crumble

500g Cox’s or Braeburn apples
25g light brown soft sugar
1 level teaspoon ground cinnamon

The crumble
75g chilled salted butter, cut into small dice
175g self-raising flour
1 level tablespoon ground cinnamon
110g demerara sugar

To serve
Ambrosia custard or Clotted cream

Method
Peel and cut the apples into quarters and remove the cores. Now cut them into roughly 1-cm cube slices and toss them in a bowl with the sugar and cinnamon then place them in a 20 x 20cm and 5cm deep baking dish (or similar). Preheat the oven to 200ÂșC/gas mark 6.

For the crumble, mix the sifted flour, cinnamon and sugar in a bowl. Add the butter and mix thoroughly with wooden spoon until it resembles bread-crumbs. 

Next, spoon the crumble mixture all over the apples and, using the back of a fork, pat it down firmly all over; the more tightly packed together the crisper it will be. 

Then finish off by lightly running a fork all over the surface. Bake the crumble on the centre shelf of the oven for 40–45 minutes, until the topping is slightly brown. Leave it to rest for 10 minutes before serving with preferably custard or clotted cream.


1 comment :

  1. You definitely can't beat a comforting, home-cooked apple crumble! It has to be one of my favourite desserts too. And as for custard, well it wouldn't be apple crumble without it! (That might even be my favourite bit...)

    ReplyDelete

B' loves comments!

When I find a new favorite thing, I keep going back to it. New favourite shoes will get worn everyday; favourite nail polish, will g...

Back to Top